Posted by The Void, 2011-10-01 06:55 BST
[Damn browser-crashes. I should know better than to compose a long post in-browser. Right then, long type take 2...]
[This post may be posted as a reply to the wrong post - sorry.]
Thanks for the elucidations. It's good to hear that there is much more planned for The Edge (what will the acronym be? TE? TJE? Incidentally, fyi there is an entertainment agency also called The Edge http://www.theedge-uk.com/ ) than just the Talk stuff. It makes me more of a mind to Switch.
Connections.... not sure about this - how it will work out, what it's *for* etc - but the idea of it does not repel me, so I'm prepared to see where it leads.
Awards I am similarly ambivalent about.
Leaderboards. You post your example of the Gladiator leaderboard, which I assume you have done because it's a feature you're thinking of adding. But you also say "Records, I have no strong feelings on this one...". Aren't they essentially the same thing?
Big Talk (if used "correctly") has the potential to morph into something akin to the IJDb Compendium. Good, I think? Perhaps a possible Search feature would therefore be a more important feature for Big than Small. (But then I suppose if you'd be implementing one, no reason not to implement the other.)
Invitations. How will this work? Who will get the power to issue them, when, and how many?
- User profile field/link to the user's Jay Tee Vee account(because this one comes first in the list, obviously ;-) );youtube account;vimeo account. Someone suggested (in the RJ JU thread, I think, which had by then turned to IJDb improvements) that it would be nice to have a better way of finding people's videos. I concur. Other optional user profile fields would no doubt suggest themselves. (DOB, anyone? ^_^)
1) I seem to get that you are saying that (eg) Crawley, would be a repeating event, with the details updated each year. To this, the archivist in me says "so whence last year's data?". I hope that there is scope for "repeating events" and also "specific events", the latter being incorporated/linked into the former where relevant. I like the idea of the watching/promting thing too.
2) ... and thus hopefully all the past event data from IJDb could be imported, and "events attended per user" kept/rebuilt. ("Import list of attended events" would be neat, but probably v. low on your priority list).
3) "Eventually I'd like to collect & store post-festival data such as attendance figures, budget etc. as a resource for future organisers". Another past suggestion from RJ was that past events could have links to photo albums and videos therefrom. I like that idea, although it would probably need an editor to vet submitted links. (Spam problem?)
- Site swaps. Headliner has a neat feature of turning valid site swaps into clickable links to animations. Not something that I use much, if ever, but it's something that Da Kids™ might like.
Your planned improvements sound good. I suspect Mini will jump on you to ask/demand to become/stay the Clubs editor. :-)
That's enough for now, cheers.
 And come to that, what will the site name/url be? Is The Edge the settled name? Any thoughts of becoming the *actual* new version of "IJDb", or are you determined to make a clean break? Both approaches have merits...
 Re-reading through things, I see you've already said this.
 Big Talk seems to do funny things to the unobfuscated version of this.